As we all know, a popup is one of the most effective ways to increase user engagement on your website. In fact, popups are so effective that they have become annoying to users in recent times.
With so many people hating them, you might be wondering if you should not use popups at all. Well, thankfully, that’s not the case. There’s nothing wrong with using pop-up ads on your website as long as you implement them in a non-intrusive way and can successfully capture a visitor’s attention. If used strategically and in small doses, they can drive a lot of traffic to your website. Moreover, this is one of the most effective conversion optimization strategies available right now.
Here we’ll explore how exactly you can use popup effectively on your website and get more subscribers without breaking a sweat. Let’s dive in…
Table of Contents
- What is a Popup?
- Popups Can Be a Great Option to Make Your Site More Attractive and Engaging
- Things to Keep in Mind When Creating Popups
- Benefits of Using Popups in WordPress
- Best WordPress Popup Plugin Suggestions
- Poptin Plugin
- Optinmonster Plugin
- Divi Toolbox Plugin
- Purchase the divi toolbox plugin
- Download the plugin
- Log into your wordpress dashboard
- Click on plugins in the sidebar menu
- Click add new at the top
- Click upload plugin and drag the plugin into the uploader
- Install plugin
- Hover over divi in the sidebar menu and click on divi library
- Create, save & name a layout
- Hover over divi in the sidebar menu and click on divi toolbox
- Click on the global tab
- Enable popups & choose between 1 to 5 for how many popups you are going to use
- Each popup will be numbered, assign the layout you made earlier & save settings
- Go on any link on the site and change the link to #popup1 (designated layout)
- Save module and page
- Exit and refresh the page you will find upon clicking it that the layout will popup
- Any changes you make to that assigned layout will reflect on any link that opens that popup
What is a Popup?
Popups have come a long way since Ethan Zuckerman (creator of the original pop-up ad) invented them and destroyed the user experience. A popup is an ad on your site that appears whenever a user performs a specific action such as landing on a page, clicking a button, or remaining on the site for a certain duration. Unlike traditional banners or ads that appear on the side or bottom of your site, pop-ups appear right above your content.
Popups Can Be a Great Option to Make Your Site More Attractive and Engaging
In today’s world, information is king. If you can get your message out there, you’re more likely to connect with your audience. It doesn’t matter if you’re a small business or a large corporation; the same principles apply. The best way to do this is through websites and online platforms. You can increase your conversion rate by create engaging content that people want to read and share. One of the easiest ways to do this is add popups to your site.
Popups can make your site more attractive and engaging. They can be used to communicate with customers, to ask questions, or to provide additional information. When used appropriately, they can help drive conversions. However they can also be a source of concern. Some people find them annoying and intrusive, while others might feel tricked into clicking on them.
Things to Keep in Mind When Creating Popups
First, make sure you know what the main reason of your popup is before you create it. If your main goal is to get your customers to join your mailing list, there’s no need for a pop-up that asks for their email address, as you should consider using a form or an embedded widget instead within the main body of content. However if you choose your trigger options carefully, you could include a popup with special offers such as a free ebook.
Second, make sure that your popup is clearly visible and easy to understand. Make sure there’s space around it and that it isn’t overlapped by other parts of the page. And remember that people dislike popups if they feel like they’ve been tricked into clicking on them. So be careful about what popup triggers you use and the design of your popup itself (e.g., whether it looks like an ad or not).
Third, make sure you are conscious of the appropriate type of popup to utilise. For example perhaps configure your popup settings to only work on a specific page, don’t do popups for every single page.
Benefits of Using Popups in WordPress
Popups are a great way to get your visitor’s attention. They can be used for any type of conversion goal, such as lead generation, email signups, and more, not only that pop-ups are very easy to implement on your WordPress site. You don’t need to know any coding to create them. All you have to do is install a plugin and start creating pop-ups. Popups are a great way to increase conversions on your WordPress website. They can be used for a variety of purposes, including collecting email addresses, promoting new products or services by displaying a call-to-action button, or showing a message to visitors.
Best WordPress Popup Plugin Suggestions
A great way to add popups to your site is by using a plugin. There are many plugins available that let you add popups to your website.
Poptin is a free wordpress plugin with an easy-to-use popup and form builder that’s specifically tailored to marketers, website owners, and digital agencies. It includes powerful conversion optimization features that help boost email signups, reduce cart abandonment, increase engagement, and improve your overall sales conversion rate. It has a free version that is rather jam packed full of options compared to it’s priced plans.
- Easy to use, flexible and responsive templates
- Compatible with most CMS platforms such as Shopify, Wix etc.
- Easy to digest Extensive Documentation & Tutorials
- Expensive to run multiple websites
- Reported to have delayed and buggy analytics
- Can make the website page load slower
The OptinMonster popup builder is a great tool for creating popups that will convert your visitors into subscribers. The builder is easy to use and has a ton of features. You can create popups with different layouts, colors, and fonts. You can also add images, videos, and text to your popup.
- Ease of Use: OptinMonster’s drag-and-drop feature makes it easy to create popup forms from scratch or use pre-built beautiful templates.
- Customization Options: You can customize the look and feel of your popups with the use of custom HTML/CSS and shortcodes.
- Popup windows with powerful features: lightbox popups, exit-intent popup, fullscreen welcome mats, page-level targeting and a time delay.
- There is only a premium version
- Reported to have Bad Customer Support
- Issues reported with billing changes being made without customer knowledge
Divi Toolbox Plugin
If you’re looking for a plugin to add popups to your wordpress site, I personally utilise and recommend the Divi Toolbox plugin by Divi Lover. It’s easy to use and has tons of options to utilise for any WordPress website using the Divi Theme. Not only that but this is a plugin designed for dozens of features for your website as a whole not just exclusively plugins.
What’s great about this plugin, is you can create your layout using the native divi builder, and assigning that layout to premade ID Selectors. Unfortunately you can only have a maximum of 5 popups each can be triggered by any link on the site. It can be a menu item, a button module, any link in the text module. However unless you are a large ecommerce store that requires a few dozen different types of popups, you only really want to be using just a few. Despite having a cap, the usability of this plugin is so simple and quick, even those unexperienced should have no issues. Additionally another downside with this plugin is that apart from user clicks it has no different triggers exit intent or advanced features for popups compared to plugins exclusively tailored to popups.
1. Purchase the Divi Toolbox Plugin
2. Download the Plugin
3. Log into your WordPress Dashboard
4. Click on Plugins in the sidebar menu
5. Click Add New at the top
6. Click Upload Plugin and drag the Divi Toolbox plugin into the uploader
7. Install Divi Toolbox Plugin
8. Hover over Divi in the sidebar menu and click on Divi Library
9. Create, Save & Name a layout
10. Hover over Divi in the sidebar menu and click on Divi Toolbox
11. Click on the Global Tab
12. Enable Popups & Choose between 1 to 5 for how many popups you are going to use
13. Each Popup will be numbered, assign the layout you made earlier & save settings
14. Go on any link on the site and change the link to #popup2 (Designated Layout)
15. Save Module and Page.
16. Exit and refresh the page you will find upon clicking it that the layout will popup.
17. Any changes you make to that assigned layout will reflect on any link that opens that popup.
You have to be able to know how to work with the Divi Builder, this way you will be aware of how to adjust the modal window.
Your layout design should be simple and clean, make sure your modal popup isn’t so large it requires a scrollbar.
Now that you know how to use Divi Toolbox’s Popup Feature, you can make opt-in forms, an email list, a video tutorial or any other important content more engaging for your visitors by creating interactive popups. With a few easy steps, you can create beautiful, engaging popups for your site, and improve your conversion rates in the process.
You can also check out my latest post, Web Developer Sydney: How To Choose The Best?
Enjoy your Day!